Thursday, November 20, 2014

Trying to find my way...

I've been messing around with Gimp for some days now just to get the hang of using the pen and tablet. I've realized it's actually super hard to draw straight lines and circles when not looking at your hand. If I was a pro I'd walk straight to the nearest tech-store and bought myself a Wacom Cintiq, Wacom Cintiq Companion or a Surface Pro 3. As it feels right now I need one of those fellas in my life but I'm going to try to be comfy with the Intuos, learning to draw while looking at the screen rather than my hand. 

I also heard about Krita the other day, downloaded it and tried it out. I'm not going to write a big review on that. Yet. But I need to just mention two things, real quick. First, immediately after installation, with no fiddling around what so ever, the Wacom-tablet just worked. No. Problems. At. All. I'm gobsmacked. Second, I didn't really bond with the brushes, I tried to twist a few knobs and yank a few cranks but, meh. They just didn't feel right. Plus I couldn't find a way to make the eraser remove everything at once (like 100 opacity, but for an eraser) I had to really rub the pen an table to really remove the paint. For me, as useless I am with the physical action of painting I'd destroy both pen and tablet if I needed to do that. So, straight back to Gimp it is. 

Below is a few of the sketches I've made the last week. High and low, I'm quite happy with a couple of them and a couple of them are straight garbage. But, whatever, I see them as practice for the muscles and eyes. If nothing else, this week I've learned that I need a plan, an idea. No two characters I create has something in common. Completely different styles. I need to come up with a more defined set of boundaries now during the start up.





So, I guess it's time to get back to the drawing board for now. For the next post I hope to have some more ideas on how to set up some rules and boundaries to steer myself towards a style, a genre, a character or, well, anything.

10-4. //Niklas

P.S. Now:


No comments:

Post a Comment